Fidget spinners warning: Mum horrified after daughter SWALLOWS part of the toy


A MOTHER is warning of the dangers of fidget spinners after her daughter swallowed part of the toy and needed surgery.

Britton Joniec, 10, turned red and started drooling as the metal bushing became trapped in her throat.

Fidget spinners were originally designed to calm kids with ADHD or autism, but have now become the latest playground craze.

Britton was in the car with mum Kelly Rose Joniec near their home in Dallas, Texas, USA, on Saturday afternoon, when she put part of the toy in her mouth to clean it.

Ms Joniec said: “I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving.

“Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over.

“She pointed to her throat saying she’d swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance.

“She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.”

Frantic with worry, she drove her daughter to an urgent care centre, and from there Britton was rushed by ambulance to Texas Children’s Hospital where surgeons removed it under general anaesthetic.

Ms Joniec said: “The doctor was fascinated.

“He’d only just learned of fidget spinners that morning when he was at the mall with his son, so it was a surprise to be faced with one in a case a few hours later.

“He’s also an advocate for related child safety in toys, so he took a special interest in the case.

“After multiple, very stressful attempts to place an IV, Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object.

“Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while…not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anaesthesia.

“From this I wish to offer some word of caution to parents. Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed.

“Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings.

“The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.”