Although scientists and medical experts cannot yet specify the reason why a person becomes left or right-handed, according to newest research, this has something to do with a complex connection between our genes and the environment. That is, great percentage of left-handed individuals, as experts discovered, comes from a family of a left-handed person.
What Else Did the Research Show?
The team of researchers found that the writings in the brain are not the same in left and right-handed people. Hence, since left-handed individuals spend their whole life adapting to a right-handed world, they are far more independent.
24 Interesting Facts about Left-Handed People
- The word ‘left’ has Anglo-Saxon origin and it comes from the word ‘lyft’ which meant broken or weak
- Left-handed individuals use their right brain side more
- 5 to 10% of the world population is left-handed
- Left-handed people are good at sports like tennis, swimming, boxing, baseball, etc.
- They can see under water easier than right-handed people
- More than 40% of the best tennis players in the world are left-handed
- Left-handed people usually reach puberty later, approximately 5 months after right-handed individuals do
- Statistics shows that left-handed college graduates are expected to become 26% richer than their right-handed peers
- Left-handed people have a 3% higher risk of becoming alcoholics
- Out of 7 US states, 4 are left-handed
- The percentage of left and right pawedness in animals like cats, rats, and mice is equally divided
- The longest words which you can type just with your left hand are tesserae decades, sweater, and dresses
- According to one study, left-handed people have a different way of processing emotions than people who are right-handed as they tend to get angry quicker
- Numerous studies point out that lefties are more gifted for maths, architecture, and spatial awareness whereas people who are right-handed have better verbal skills
- August 13th is International Left-Handers Day
- In the past, left-handedness was closely associated with rebellion, neurosis, homosexuality, the devil, and criminality. However, it was also related with creativity and musical skills
- People who are left-handed tend to suffer from insomnia more than right-handed individuals
- In the U.S. according to latest statistics, there are more than 30 million left-handed people
- Women who give birth in their 40s have a 128% higher chance of giving birth to a left-handed child when compared with women who give birth in their 20s
- Some of the most vicious killers in human history were left-handed. For example, the Boston Stranglers, Osama bin Laden, and Jack the Ripper
- According to medical experts, if left-handed people injure their dominant hand, they can learn to use the other one quicker than if the same happens to a right-handed person
- Left-handed people are more prone to asthma and allergies than right-handed individuals
- Left-handedness definitely runs in the family. For example, Prince William, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mother, and Prince Charles are/were left-handed
- Out of four, one Apollo astronaut was left-handed