A new clinical study has found that by adding one simple fruit to your diet you can restore your health, reduce your risk of heart disease, and even fight infections.
Published in the journal Atherosclerosis, researches showed pomegranate extract can prevent and reverse thesymptoms and causes associated with heart disease.
The study focused on the progressive thickening of the coronary arteries, caused by the accumulation of fatty materials.
The study showed that pomegranate extract effectively:
- Reduced levels of oxidative stress
- Reduced the amount of plaque in the arteries
- Reduced a chemical messenger (chemokine) that is associated with inflammation in the arteries
- Reduced lipid accumulation in the heart muscle
- Reduced ECG abnormalities
- Reduced cardiac enlargement
The new findings aren’t the first study to show this. Clinical Nutrition published the results of a three-year clinical trial in 2004, showing how the daily consumption of pomegranate juice reversed carotid artery stenosis by up to 29% within one year.pomegranateCholesterol-lowering statins have been linked to many adverse health effects, so the continued research of the amazing health benefits of pomegranate may in fact lead to pomegranate juice as an alternative, natural way to unclog arteries and prevent heart disease.
The health benefits of pomegranate have been proven over and over again so it’s no surprise that scientific based studies are concluding what many natural medicators have known for centuries.
More Health Benefits of Pomegranates:
1. They are loaded with important nutrients
One cup of pomegranate seeds contains 144 calories, 7 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate and potassium. Pomegranates also boast an impressive level of antioxidants that help to prevent cell damage from oxidation.
2. Pomegranates contain two powerful plant compoundsPunicalagins are extremely powerful antioxidants found in the juice and peel of a pomegranate, while punicic acid (pomegranate seed oil) is the main fatty acid in pomegranate seeds. The two compounds are responsible for most of the health benefits of pomegranates.
3. Pomegranates contain anti-inflammatory compoundsThe anti-inflammatory properties in pomegranates make them ideal for reducing inflammation in the body, helping to prevent heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer’s and obesity.
4. Lowers Blood PressureOne study showed that people with high blood pressure had a significant reduction in their blood pressure after consuming 150 ml of pomegranate juice daily for two weeks. Other studies have found similar results, citing that pomegranate juice can to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
5. Pomegranates can fight bacterial and fungal infections
The plant compounds in pomegranates also have powerful medicinal properties that can help fight harmful bacteria in the body. They have been shown to be beneficial against several types of bacteria and fungal infections.
The following video explains how pomegranate juice is made: