What is a fatty liver?
A fatty liver is the result of excess fat in the liver. This fat builds up when a person’s diet exceeds the amount of fat their body can handle.
Our liver is one of the most important organs in our body. It is located in the upper right part of the tummy and its functions include:
- Helping to remove or process alcohol, medications and toxins from the body
- Stores fuel for the body- the food we eat is broken down into a type of sugar called glucose and we use this for energy. Glucose cannot be stored so it is turned into glycogen which is kept in the liver. When we need energy it is released in the form of glucose
- Making proteins that are essential for blood to clot
- Making cholesterol
- Making bile, which digests fat
Non- alcoholic fatty liver disease
Most people have no symptoms of having a fatty liver, but some do experience persistent pain in the upper part of the stomach, digestive issues and fatigue. Having a fatty liver is not due to drinking in excess, but is due to the foods that we eat.
70-90 Millions American have a fatty liver and don’t even know it-
What causes a fatty liver?
A fatty liver is not caused by eating healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, nuts and seeds, but it caused by sugar, fructose, high fructose corn syrup, sodas, fast foods and pre- packaged foods. These foods cause inflammation in your body, which then creates insulin resistance and pre- diabetes. This creates belly fat around your organs and in your liver.
The Standard American Diet is what is causing so many to have a fatty liver.
Having a fatty liver is a huge risk for having a heart attack.
We are now seeing young children with fatty livers – these kids have been drinking soda daily and are at risk for liver failure and even heart attack.
How to reduce your risk for fatty liver- Change your Diet now
- Cut out sugar and high fructose corn syrup ( sodas, pops, ketchup, cookies)
- Read labels
- Reduce starch ( processed flours, processed foods)
- Eat more vegetables
- Incorporate healthy oils into your diet- olive oil, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil
- Eat raw nuts and seeds
- Eat wild fish and wild meats or grass fed beef or bison
- Fish Oil Supplements
- Cruciferous Vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussel Sprouts
What to do if you have a fatty liver?
All of the above and add in some supplements:
- Milk Thistle
- Lipoic Acid
- N- Acetyl-l-Cysteine
- B Vitamins
Learn how to change your diet for the better by simply removing 3 foods that cause inflammation in your body which can lead to a fatty liver.
source : http://justnaturallyhealthy.com/2016/03/16/how-to-prevent-and-treat-fatty-liver/