Probably all people I know have a problem with mold at home or in the office, but I am now sure that they are aware of its health implications and disastrous consequences.
Mold grows everywhere, and if you just look under the sink, in the corner of your room, or at the shower curtain, you will spot it immediately.
Mold can be a problem in your basement, on the roof, in your drywall, kitchen cabinets, and even in your Christmas tree!
Mold can be of around a thousand of types, and they are scientifically classified according to their effects on people and living things as follows:
Allergenic molds are the least dangerous, and they cause issues in the case of asthma and a predisposed allergy to the specific mold.
Pathogenic molds lead to infections, so they are dangerous to people with a weak immune system. People exposed to pathogenic molds experience an acute response similar to bacterial pneumonia.
These molds produce mycotoxins that pose serious health risks and have been linked to immunosuppression and cancer. As soon as one inhales, touches, or eats them, they are absorbed in the body.
Dr. Mercola lists the following 5 most common indoor mold types:
- Alternaria: It leads to allergic responses, and is commonly found in the mouth, nose, mouth, and upper respiratory tract.
- Aspergillus: It causes lung infections, and is often found in house dust, and in warm, extremely damp climates.
- Cladosporium: It often results in asthma symptoms and hay fever, and is commonly found on wood, textiles, and other damp, porous materials.
- Penicillium: It is often found on carpets, wallpapers, decaying fabrics, and fiberglass duct insulation, and leads to allergies and asthma. The antibiotic penicillin is one of those species that produce mycotoxins.
- Stachybotrys: This highly toxic “black mold” creates mycotoxins that lead to various health issues, like severe breathing difficulties and bleeding of the lungs. It is less common but can be found on paper and wood surfaces.
Any type of mold exposure might cause a mold illness, which is actually a set of health issues.
According to Mayo Clinic:
“Although a mold allergy is the most common problem caused by exposure to mold, mold can cause illness without an allergic reaction. Mold can also cause infections or irritant and toxic reactions. Infections caused by mold can lead to a variety of problems from flu-like symptoms to skin infections and even pneumonia. “
Mold toxicity is a severe problem as well, and it is also known as a Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS).
CIRS, according to Ritchie Shoemaker, MD, the author of Surviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings, represents:
“an acute and chronic, systemic inflammatory response acquired following exposure to the interior environment of a water-damaged building with resident toxigenic organisms, including, but not limited to fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, and Mycobacterium as well as inflammagens…”
These are the 10 most common symptoms of mold illness:
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Excessive thirst and increased urination
- Digestive problems, including nausea, abdominal pain, appetite changes, diarrhea
- Headaches, memory issues, concentration issues, brain fog
- Unexplained muscle cramping, aches, and joint pain, persistent nerve pain
- Numbness and tingling
- Temperature regulation or night sweats
- Eye problems such as red eyes or light sensitivity
- Tremors and vertigo
- Asthma and sinus issues, including a cough or shortness of breath
The video below is worth watching, as it will reveal some important information about the ways you can prevent the negative effects of mold: