With the global health revolution, many households have opted out of the traditional cow milk and went for soy milk. This milk does not contain lactose so it is a good choice for the lactose intolerant and vegans as well. Low in fat and cholesterol, fortified soy milk contains many needed vitamins, minerals and calcium.
But a problem is that research has shown the negative side effects of consuming soy milk which can put your health in serious danger. Read on.
Here are the ingredients in soy milk:
- Soy milk (Filtered water, whole soybeans)
- Cane Sugar
- Sea Salt
- Natural Flavor
- Calcium Carbonate
- Vitamin A palmitate
- Vitamin D2
- Vitamin B12
You probably already know most of these ingredients, and they don’t seem all that bad. But the one ingredient you probably know very little about is Carrageenan. Carrageenans are a family of sulfated polysaccharides which are extracted from red seaweed. Their main purpose in the food industry is to serve as thickeners.
Carrageenans have no nutritional value whatsoever, but more importantly, our bodies are not able to digest them. Even though they come from a natural source, they are destructive to the immune system.
According to a research, carrageenans trigger a negative immune response that causes inflammation. The same research has linked them to a higher rate of colon cancer, along with gastrointestinal inflammation that can cause IBS, spastic colon, chronic diarrhea and inflammatory bowel disease.
The type of diet you incorporate in your daily life is your personal choice. However, being informed is the best way to make the right decision that benefits your health. Even though soy milk is a topic of controversy for years already, there is a remarkable amount of evidence that proves its harmful effects.
Ten alarming reasons to exclude soy milk from your diet:
1. Soy milk contains large amounts of toxins that can have negative effects on women’s estrogen levels. Two glasses a day for a prolonged period of time can seriously alter the hormones in a woman’s body, thus resulting in a disruption of the menstrual cycle.
2. Soybeans are found to contain haemagglutinin, which is a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.
3. More than 98% of all soy production is genetically modified, so consuming soy milk will expose you to a long list of pesticides and chemicals.
4. Soybeans and soy products contain high levels of phytic acid, which interferes and even prevents the absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc in the body.
5. Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum, which has a devastating effect on the nervous system and kidneys. It is also linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Fragile soy proteins are exposed to high temperatures during processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein. This makes them dangerous for human digestion.
7. Soy food has been found to contain toxic isoflavones – genistein and daidzein, both of which can further promote the growth of existing breast cancer.
8. Research has shown that soy contains plant estrogen called phytoestrogen, which can disrupt endocrine function and cause infertility and breast cancer in women.
9. Soy foods also contain considerable levels of goitrogens, which can inhibit the production of thyroid hormones.
10. The spray-drying process leads to the formation of nitrates, which are potent carcinogens.
Watch the video below by Dr. Mercola to learn more about the dangers of soy: